Tis the season for tomatoes. Now I hate the heat (shocking thing for a southerner to say, but it is true), but I love tomatoes and you need the heat to produce the best ones.
Here are the 7 things you need to make the perfect tomato sandwich:
- Tomatoes (this time of year they are abundant and flavorful–check local farmer’s markets or even your grocery store that supplies local produce might be an option)
- Serrated Knife – a serrated knife is best to cut through the tomato skin
- Cutting board – keep your counters intact
- White bread – I cheat and have “white wheat” but for some reason it isn’t a traditional tomato sandwich without it
- Mayonnaise – you know I am partial to Duke’s but you can use your favorite, I will look the other way.
That’s it. This time of year, I eat them as much as possible because come fall, tomatoes won’t be worth eating, especially as the featured ingredient in a dish.